Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:57:42 +0800
From:      mikel king <mikel.king@olivent.com>
To:        Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Apple & FreeBSD relationship

On Mar 10, 2011, at 6:00 AM, Nerius Landys wrote:

> This is not a technical question.
>=20
> Basically I have some cash sitting around.  I'm thinking of investing
> part of it with a company that I believe in.  Apple came to mind.  You
> could say that I'd like to judge Apple's moral character before
> investing money with them.  Does anyone know how Apple reciprocates to
> FreeBSD?  After all a lot of MacOSX is borrowed from FreeBSD.  I am
> not seeing Apple's name on this page:
> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/sponsors.shtml .  Are there
> other ways in which Apple might be reciprocating?
>=20
> - Nerius

Apple has had a mixed relationship giving back to the BSD community. =
They did hire several developers over time and do have several projects =
that they have open sourced. Launchd & iCal server are two of the bigger =
ones. I personally feel that they could do better and certainly could =
have done things differently in a way that would have helped the =
community and built an even stronger product base but let's face it they =
sure aren't listening to me.

In recent years their marketing as gone to some lengths to scrub the =
references to BSD & UNIX from the brochures. It's like they are ashamed =
of their roots, again personally I think they hired some new anti-geeks =
that just don't get it.

I would suggest you look at spreading your investment around to several =
BSD supportive companies.  Obviously Apple and Juniper pop up to the top =
of the list. I would have offered Isilon but they have been assimilated =
into the beast know as EMC so that may not be an option.

At the end of the day they are a company, and companies must make money =
in order to survive. Therefore, do not get too attached to their BSD =
rhetoric because the winds of business can change direction at any =
moment.

On a side note: I would love to find a comprehensive list of both public =
and private companies that are BSD supportive.

Regards,
Mikel King
BSD News Network
http://bsdnews.net