Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2014 22:14:08 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-chat@freebsd.org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: etymology of the emergency holographic shell

<mailto:royce@tycho.org>> wrote:
>=20
> Random question ... does anyone know the history of why is it called
> the "emergency holographic shell=E2=80=9D?

Ah yes=E2=80=A6  Because I was watching =E2=80=9CStar Trek Voyager=E2=80=9D=
 at the time, and the Emergency Medical Hologram =
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_(Star_Trek:_Voyager)>; (or =
=E2=80=9CEmergency Holographic Doctor=E2=80=9D as the character was more =
popularly known) was pretty much the only good thing about the show, so =
I paid homage to him when I created an interactive shell on a spare VTY =
that could be used to observe the install in progress and potentially =
rescue, or intervene =E2=80=9Cmedically=E2=80=9D, in an install going =
bad.  Like, say, when you fat-fingered your gateway address and saw from =
the progress bar that it was stuck trying to transfer from FTP media, =
you could use the EHS to quickly rectify that mistake and potentially =
save yourself a lot of grief in an aborted install.

So yes, a bit of now ancient Trekkie humor on my part, that=E2=80=99s =
all. :-)

- Jordan