Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 01:01:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ktsin@acm.org (Sin Key Teck)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lock manager panics

> I have installed 3.0-971003-SNAP and the lock manager still panics on shutdown
> if quota is enabled. I believe the problem has persisted since the SMP code
> was merged into 3.0.
>
> Is there a problem with the lock manager or is it due to misconfiguration?

There are a couple of problems with the lock manager because of
indeterminate state transitions.  Generally, this won't bite you
unless you call it with the wrong arguments at the right time; as
an alternative, you can call it with the right arguments at the
wrong time in SMP.  8-(.

The lock manager has issues.  I'm not prepared to deal with them in depth
at this time.

You should consult the list archives for an article with "lockmgr" in
the subject; it was posted about 5 weeks ago -- and no, it wasn't me.
It identifies at least two race problems that would be pertinent here,
give how SMP shutdown progresses.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---