Date:      Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:48:15 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Introducing fpart - a file partitioning tool

--------------enig9FDED76DBA61B2E7E2D1A7D1

On 07/01/2012 10:33, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:10 AM, andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com> wrote=
:
>> On Fri 2012-01-06 11:36:56 UTC+0100, Ganael LAPLANCHE (ganael.laplanch=
e@martymac.org) wrote:

>>> Have you ever wondered how you could split a file tree into parts of =
the
>>> same size, or into parts with a limited size or file number ?
>>>
>>> I have developed a small BSD-licensed tool called fpart that can do t=
hat
>>> for you (see http://contribs.martymac.org and
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/fpart).
>>>
>>> This small C program will crawl a given set of file or directory path=
s,
>>> organize them and print resulting partitions. This can be useful to e=
=2Eg.
>>> launch several rsync(1) in parallel or store files on media of limite=
d size.

>> Interesting!  Thanks.  I see there's a similar program called
>> GAFFitter in the Ports tree (sysutils/gaffitter)...
>>
>> "Genetic Algorithm File Fitter, or just GAFFitter, is a command-line
>> software written in C++ that arranges--via a genetic algorithm--an
>> input list of items or files/directories into volumes of a certain
>> capacity (target), such as CD or DVD, in a way that the total wastage
>> is minimized. By smartly arranging the input list, GAFFitter fits
>> better the given items and so optimizes (reduces) the number of
>> required volumes to pack them.
>>
>> Currently, GAFFitter runs on GNU/Linux and other POSIX systems, but it=

>> is designed in such manner that should be easily extended to non-POSIX=

>> operating environment."
>>
>> http://gaffitter.sourceforge.net/
>=20
> FYI, ports also has sysutils/lxsplit.
> FreeBSD base has split(1) and csplit(1).
>=20
> Just in case anyone thinks this is a new idea.

Ummm... split(1), csplit(1) etc operate on individual files, turning
them into many smaller files.

fpart and gaffitter operate on a collection of files, sorting them into
different bins by various criteria.  Quite a different concept.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3