Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:59:19 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        taob@io.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any remaining installation wish-list items out there?

> > Changing the subject slightly, did anyone ever get around to sorting
> > out a utility for adding an extra disk to an installed system?
>
> Hmmmm.  Well, if you can manage to access a copy of sysinstall that's
> fairly recent, let me know if:
>
>    sysinstall diskPartitionEditor
>
> and
>
>    sysinstall diskLabelEditor

Blimey! I never knew it could do that. (That's the second time today!
Not secretly writing a replacement for Emacs, are you? 8-)

> Seem to meet your criteria.  If you're feeling very bold, you can try:
>
>    sysinstall diskPartitionEditor diskLabelEditor diskLabelCommit
>
> and combine the operations into a short tour.

I put in a -fake (I'm bold, but not quite that bold, at least not
without a spare disk!) and got

"You must partition the disk(s) before this option can be used."

at the commit stage. (It's already partitioned, BTW and I entered all
the mount points in the label editor).

I also got an error message when it tried and failed to mount a CDROM
I had in the drive...

> If you think this approach has potential (and avoiding brutal and
> risky surgery is always generally a good thing :-) then let me know
> how/if you'd see it improved upon.

Hmm. I took out the "what kind of MBR do you want" dialogue as
presumably they've already got one on their first disk. And I didn't
get the failed CD mount as I stripped out all the CD and networking
code...

Apart from that, though, I can't claim that what I've got is any
better. And the point about surgery is well taken - the patient is
still looking rather green about the gills! 8-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk