Date:      14 Apr 1999 16:44:41 -0500
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
To:        Jesse Robbins <jesse@nda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Budtool and FreeBSD...

Jesse> Anyone done or heard of a modification to budtool that allows
Jesse> you to recognise and backup FreeBSD and/or Linux systems???

You can setup BudTool to do backups of FreeBSD and Linux systems, but
you won't have any file history. Here is our entry in .budcl for Linux:

<CLASS  "dump.Linux"
        ACTIVE  TRUE
        BACKUP  "/sbin/dump ${BT_REQ_LEVEL}bfu  128 - ${filesystem}"
        TOC     ""
        RTRV    "/sbin/restore xf - ${BT_EXTRACT_FILELIST}"
        DAR     ""
        BUFILT  "dump"
        LEVELS  9
        SPLIT   NO
        <CLASS-FIELD "filesystem"
                LABEL   "File System:"
                HELP    "budtool:dumpfilesystem"
                TYPE    TEXT
                XPOS    20
                YPOS    0
                WIDTH   30
                VALUE   ""
                VALID   "fscheck"

For FreeBSD just change the paths to dump and restore and you should be fine.

But if possible I'd recommend using Amanda instead. I've used BudTool
in the past but at a new installation we are using Amanda
(http://www.amanda.org) instead. Amanda will get you file histories
for your Linux and FreeBSD boxes while BudTool won't. (I've been
beating on them for this for years.)