Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 11:28:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi tutorial

According to Peter da Silva:
> >	Enclosed is the vi_tutorial that I've been distributing.
>
> Mind if I make a couple of suggestions? They're pretty deep changes,
> but I think are important to really understanding VI. You have almost
> certainly internalized these pieces of information, but you haven't
> concretized them, perhaps.
>
> First: drop all mention of "insert mode" and "command mode". Why?
> Because "insert mode" doesn't really act like a "mode". It acts like
> a "command". If people think of an insertion operation (i, a, o, and
> so on) as being a command "itexttexttext^[" then things that just
> seemed like quirks of vi suddenly make a lot of sense.

		I think the reason that the original authors of
		the helpfile used `mode' was that Bill Joy  and
		Mark Horton used the term when they published their
		original paper on vi.  ---I remember Bill giving me
		a copy of the paper and learning enough more from it
		to help bring me much further along 15, 16, 17 or
		however many years ago it was.  At least 16.---

		At any rate, following that early tutorial, I stuck
		with `mode'.

> Second: don't dwell so early on the shortcut commands. Teach the
> basic moves and combinations (dw, cw, and so on) and then mention
> things like "ZZ" and "~" as asides. If you learn the basic command
> structure before even seeing the shortcuts and special cases it'll
> really be a lot easier.
>
> (also, ZZ is a shortcut for :x^M not :wq^M)

		Good point about the `ZZ' stuff.  Since the purpose
		of my submitted tutorial is to allow entirely new
		users to use vi with minimal functionality, I didn't
		expand very much upon the original structure.

		If you've read my html version, I give pointers to
		the early paper and suggest that the user read any
		of the myriad Unix tutorials type books that cover
		vi.

		---Or perhaps this one can be expanded to be a
		basic vi-tutorial.

		Feedback from the documentation folks, please.

		gary