Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 18:44:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel tty problem

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I'm running 2.1.5-STABLE here; originally made from the CD-ROM sources.
> > I'm using CTM, subscribed to the -STABLE branch. Everything was running
> > just fine until I decided to recompile the kernel to add ipfw. After
>
> You have to have spammed something in your kernel config file, there's
> no other practical explanation.
>
> Start again with the GENERIC file.  If it works, carefully turn it
> into something more closely approximating your file, one line at a
> time, until it stops working.  Done, you know now that the line you
> just removed should have stayed. :-)
>
> If GENERIC doesn't work then talk to us again because you've found a
> real problem.

Thank you for getting back to me. I started over with GENERIC and
recreated my custom kernel config file... with one minor exception: my
previous version, I'd been paring down things I didn't think I needed and
optimizing. One of the options I took out was COMPAT_43. The new version
from scratch includes it and it all works. I was under the impression that
COMPAT_43 was only required for *some* older programs... apparently that
was what was breaking quite a few of them, however. I suppose it could
also be some of the things added to GENERIC since the 2.1.5 release, but
at this point, COMPAT_43 seems to be the culprit.

-Dave