Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:56:44 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guns ans roses

"G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:

> At 21:23 26-03-2000 +1200, Craig Harding wrote:
> >So the solution for schoolyard gun massacres is for *all* kids to be
> >armed at all times?
>
> Not kids. Adults. As for kids, they should be taught what guns do. As I
> said before, kids should be taking to a range and let experiment with
> firearms (under proper supervision, of course) because the main problem
> with kids shooting kids is that they do not realize the harm can cause with
> firearms until it is too late.

I disagree, weapons are not toys; even if you are old enough a fire
weapon is not something that a civilian should carry. That said, here in
Colombia, probably the most violent country in the world, it is illegal
to have a fire weapon (many people have permits and are legally
registered though).

We could have excuses (the communist guerrilla is better armed than the
official army because they are financed by the drug traffic), but
history has showed us that the result of having more weapons available
is always more deaths.

> You do not see people trained in martial arts killing other people, do you
> (at least not in the big way people untrained in the use of firearms do).

FWIW, as a martial artist I did get to kick some guys when I it was less
than necessary, however I realized very soon that it was not about
having the knowledge/skill to kill someone else...it was much more
interesting to "win" without even touching your opponent.

> Personally, I am neither pro-guns, nor anti-guns. All I am saying that is a
> society in which gun ownership is viewed as important, people should be
> trained in proper use of firearms, and trained well.

However useless as it might seem (in Colombia, at least) I am clearly
anti-gun, however you wouldn't believe the BS we get from other
anti-gunnists here...they are prohibiting "violent toys" like tanks and
water pistols! I even know certain parents that prohibit TV cartoons
like Dragon Ball Z to their kids.

Someone was mentioning here that Latin America's catholics wouldn't like
"Chuck", well... my sister in law converted to a (US-based) Christian
church and now their kids are not allowed to look at Batman because of
"those pointed demon-like horns" (the ears!).

In sum, I agree education is very important, but it would be better for
all of us if the danger was abolished or at least controlled.

cheers,

     Pedro.