Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2022 09:51:42 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        Jake Freeland <jake@technologyfriends.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LinuxKPI debugfs Port

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 05:11:49PM -0500, Jake Freeland wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Your reply clears up a lot. I just forked drm-kmod, applied your Makefile
> patch, and added DEBUGFS to kconfig.mk. I am extremely excited to be
> back on track, especially now that I know how to proceed.
>
> Just to clarify, my job is to extend the current debugfs implementation
> (debugfs.h and lindebugfs.c) to include the missing functionality required
> for i915kms to compile and run successfully? I would ask manu@, but
> he has not responded to me in weeks.

I think so, yes.  That's the shortest path to getting i915's debugfs
files available for consumption by the test suite.

> I greatly appreciate your explanations about LinuxKPI and lindebugfs.
> Extensive documentation is what draws me to FreeBSD, but I struggled
> to find any information regarding lindebugfs or LinuxKPI. I plan to write
> some of my own when I am done with this project to help others in my
> position :).

That'd be welcome.  This area is definitely under-documented, though it
can be difficult to write useful documentation targeting kernel
developers.  A man page for lindebugfs would be a great start, as would
an introductory page for the linuxkpi.