Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 10:01:55 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: AS/400 and RPG

Hello knowledgable community.

Once again I am relegated to bugging the FreeBSD community about something
that really isn't their concern because I'm unable find any other reliable
source of information.

I recently spoke with a potential new client who has a half-written
application in RPG on an AS/400 that they would like me to complete for
them.

I'll add more history about the situation below, but for those who don't
want to read a lot, here's my question: Is RPG still a growing, viable
language?  Is the AS/400 still an evolving platform?  I've heard rumors
that IBM is starting to abandon AS/400 for Linux, and when I searched for
books on RPG, I found very few (although I found many that were out of
print).  Would I be doing this client a disfavor to continue development
in RPG?  Would I be wasting my time to learn it?

I know nothing about the AS/400 or the RPG programming language.  Basically,
the client paid a programmer to screw them^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwrite this
program 2 years ago because their research showed that there was a large
market for it.  The programmer wrote most of the app and then took the
last bit of the money and skipped town.  It's been sitting for two years
with no money to complete the development.  The original programmer wrote
it as a terminal app.  While I don't have any gripes with the terminal
environment, this client is having trouble getting financial backers who
see the program, becuase it looks like an old green-screen program.  so
they want me to replace the terminal interface with a Windows-ish GUI.
How hard will that be in RPG?  I suggested rewriting the app in some other
language (such as perl/SQL) which they didn't disagree with, but they claim
they can't get the money to do a rewrite now.

Was the programmer an asshole for taking money to write a terminal app in
2000?  I think so.

Upshot is: they want to work out some sort of arrangement where I fix
the program, and then I get a percentage of sales or something.  Frankly,
I've heard this all before and gotten burned on it before.  (Folks think
if they write a program and put up a website they'll sell 1000 copies)
These folks seem to have a better understanding of how much money it
takes to market a program, but I'm still not convinced that it'll be
worth my while.  I'm worried that the AS/400/RPG requirement will hurt
sales markedly.  Something written in perl/MySQL would run on BSD/Linux/
Mac/Windows and have a much larger market, right?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies