Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emulation in 3.2 current

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> Yes. COMPAT_LINUX disappeared 3 years ago. The reason that you can still
> use it is because it reappeared for the purpose of compiling LINT (IIRC).
> The fact that it still can be used to actually built a working kernel is
> *not* deliberate, but more a question of "luck".

The handbook entry at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/linuxemu.html and
the LINT entry should perhaps be updated to note that COMPAT_LINUX is
deprecated. I think I still have it in my kernel from 2.1 days.

The handbook entry also refers to LKMs (and modload, etc), and the kernel
option "LINUX" is not documented in LINT.

Kris