Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:32:42 +1000
From:      David L <dlodeiro@inspired.net.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Yep!... Still a Newbie

I set up a pc at home as a file server and printer server ( to print from both
FreeBSD/ Linux clients as well as windows clients ), and thanks to a lot of
posts, and a lot of google, I got it working very reliably. So I thought Ide
replicate this on the FreeBSD server I set up at work, should'nt be to hard
Ill just copy my configuration from my server. So I logged in to my home
server from work ( using putty on windows ) and coppied the smb.conf printing
configurations over. Unfortunately I cant copy and paste between putty and
anything else like I can with terminals on KDE at home, so I had to retype it
in, and I did so blindly, paying little attention to what I was typing. And
it didnt work , and I couldnt figure out what it was for roughly 2 months of
the occasional attempts.

My home :

   print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
                       echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
   lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -Plp %j
   lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -Plp %j

Work :

   print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="'echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"'" ;\
                       echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
   lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -Plp %j
   lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -Plp %j

Eventually last night at about 1 in the morning, I actually took the time to
read this, and I had a look at tmp and noticed that every time I sent a job
to print from a win client, the file junkJ increased in size. I deleted it.
And it came back when I sent another job to print, and got bigger with every
editional job. And then I figured out what I did wrong.
Why must 2 charachters be so similar?

David L