Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 12:52:18 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        caleb@crl.com (S. Paul)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: find sio3

On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, S. Paul wrote:

> when RELEASE 2.1 boots it see's sio1 &sio2
> but not sio3. What do i need to edit so 2.1R see's my very
> inexpensive internal(archtek,smartlink:v32) Modem
> running on an AMD 486DX66, 8m ram, vesa vlb,512cache
>
> this modem works well in dos as comm 4 irq3(2e8)

For a start, you're going to have to change the IRQ on the modem
for use with FreeBSD, if you haven't done so. For MS-DOS, it is OK
to share IRQs 4 & 3 between the four COM ports, but with FreeBSD
you need IRQ 9 for sio3.

If you change this and it still doesn't work, it will be helpful to
know what probe tests the modem is failing. To do this, enter

   /kernel -c

at the

   Boot:

prompt, and then

   flags sio3 0x80
   quit

at the

   config>

prompt. You should then see one or more lines with the format

   sio3: probe test %d failed

You can then check out /sys/i386/isa/sio.c -- look for assignments to
the failures[] array in the function sioprobe(). It may help to add a
DELAY(1000) or so before some of these tests; otherwise, you could just
disable them for the specific device.

Of course, the good news is: if you change sio.c, the next step is to
recompile the kernel. :-)

--
Robert Nordier
rnordier@iafrica.com