Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:19:42 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Jonathon McKitrick" <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, "Sheldon Hearn" <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mergemaster after upgrade

>So the best bet is to just carefully go through mergemaster, and figure
>out what everything means?  Then decide whether it needs merging or not?

My theory is to merge in ALL the new stuff, but to watch carefully for
things in certain files that I have explicitly configured.

For example, I have all my rc.conf overrides in /etc/rc.conf, so I let
mergemaster happily replace the whole /etc/defaults/rc.conf. But I don't let
it touch /etc/groups or /etc/passwd. Most of the rest of the files need some
scrutiny, to see what changed. And soon enough, you'll figure out which
files you need to really watch closely so you don't blow away your
settings...

I found mergemaster kind of daunting at first (I was happily editing changes
by hand at the time), but after a while it really grows on you. Guess that's
why it's part of the core system now :-)

Good luck!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!