Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:39:34 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: read only root: (was Re: comments on this change please.)

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Michael Hancock wrote:
>
> > I think the named config files are variable enough to go into /var and too
> > variable if you want a read-only root.
>
> The shipped namedb files are non-working samples anyway.  So would
> a commented-out
>
> # directory /var/namedb

Did you mean /etc/namedb?

> in named.boot make you happy?  Sites interested in not bloating /etc
> with the DNS stuff are then free to move it there.  (named.boot itself
> is probably static enough to always live under /etc.)

This would be ok.  I'm used to getting the BIND distribution from ISC
directly, but since it's nicely packaged by FreeBSD I've been using that
instead recently.  I have to move everything to /var/named and point named
over to it in the sysconfig file.  Actually, I didn't check if I really
need to do this, is /etc/namedb/named.boot compiled into the FreeBSD
named?  Nevermind, it's probably /etc/named.boot.

I didn't notice the ndc utilities that come with BIND.  I started using
these a year ago and I miss these.  e.g. ndc reload, ndc stop, ndc start,
ndc status, etc.

Regards,

Mike Hancock