Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 14:18:31 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How do I find out how much memory the kernel is using now?

I have a FreeBSD box configured (via sysctl) to allow for a large number of
both open files (system-wide) and also for a large number of open network
connections (system-wide).

This box has very little running on it, only a few processes, the largest
of which is about 5.5 megs (virtual), but I have 32 MB of physical memory
in the box.

Still, the thing seems to be swapping like crazy.  Why?  I need to find out
exactly why, and soon.

Please help.  I need to know if there is any command that I can use to find
out exactly how much main memory the kernel itself is using up at the present
moment.

The only thing that I can find that even seems remotely like it might do the
job is `sysctl -a', which shows me:

	hw.physmem: 32010240
	hw.usermem: 3829760

Now for the big question...  What exactly is the significance of that second
number??  Is that really saying that I only have 3.8 MB left for user-level
processes??

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/