Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:57:03 -0700
From:      Jesse Robbins <jesse@nda.com>
To:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
Subject:   Re: Budtool and FreeBSD...

Hey,

Thanks for your response!

Did you  have to edit the .budadmcl file as well to get this to work
If so, would you send me your METHOD_CLASS entry as well?

Thanks!

-jess

On %M 0, "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com> wrote:
> Jesse> Anyone done or heard of a modification to budtool that allows
> Jesse> you to recognise and backup FreeBSD and/or Linux systems???
>
> You can setup BudTool to do backups of FreeBSD and Linux systems, but
> you won't have any file history. Here is our entry in .budcl for Linux:
>

> <CLASS  "dump.Linux"
>         ACTIVE  TRUE
>         BACKUP  "/sbin/dump ${BT_REQ_LEVEL}bfu  128 - ${filesystem}"
>         TOC     ""
>         RTRV    "/sbin/restore xf - ${BT_EXTRACT_FILELIST}"
>         DAR     ""
>         BUFILT  "dump"
>         LEVELS  9
>         SPLIT   NO
>         <CLASS-FIELD "filesystem"
>                 LABEL   "File System:"
>                 HELP    "budtool:dumpfilesystem"
>                 TYPE    TEXT
>                 XPOS    20
>                 YPOS    0
>                 WIDTH   30
>                 VALUE   ""
>                 VALID   "fscheck"
>         >

> For FreeBSD just change the paths to dump and restore and you should be fine.
>
> But if possible I'd recommend using Amanda instead. I've used BudTool
> in the past but at a new installation we are using Amanda
> (http://www.amanda.org) instead. Amanda will get you file histories
> for your Linux and FreeBSD boxes while BudTool won't. (I've been
> beating on them for this for years.)

Jesse Robbins              Net Daemons Asc.
Network Engineer           1818 Gilbreth Rd Suite 234
jesse@nda.com              Burlingame, Ca 94010
                           (650) 692-8100
------
186,282 Miles per second:
It's not just a good idea, it's the law!