Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:27:21 -0500
From:      Jake Freeland <jake@technologyfriends.net>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LinuxKPI debugfs Port

--00000000000066e56b05e29a4eb5

Mark,

I was able to get Manu's attention and schedule a meeting with
him to discuss this. I just finished and he was able to confirm that
you're pointing me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate your
guidance and help.

I plan to finish this project and hopefully have enough knowledge,
with the help of peers, to write informative LinuxKPI and lindebugfs
man pages.

Thank you again,
Jake Freeland

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 8:51 AM Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 05:11:49PM -0500, Jake Freeland wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > Your reply clears up a lot. I just forked drm-kmod, applied your Makefile
> > patch, and added DEBUGFS to kconfig.mk. I am extremely excited to be
> > back on track, especially now that I know how to proceed.
> >
> > Just to clarify, my job is to extend the current debugfs implementation
> > (debugfs.h and lindebugfs.c) to include the missing functionality
> required
> > for i915kms to compile and run successfully? I would ask manu@, but
> > he has not responded to me in weeks.
>
> I think so, yes.  That's the shortest path to getting i915's debugfs
> files available for consumption by the test suite.
>
> > I greatly appreciate your explanations about LinuxKPI and lindebugfs.
> > Extensive documentation is what draws me to FreeBSD, but I struggled
> > to find any information regarding lindebugfs or LinuxKPI. I plan to write
> > some of my own when I am done with this project to help others in my
> > position :).
>
> That'd be welcome.  This area is definitely under-documented, though it
> can be difficult to write useful documentation targeting kernel
> developers.  A man page for lindebugfs would be a great start, as would
> an introductory page for the linuxkpi.

--00000000000066e56b05e29a4eb5

ntion and schedule a meeting with</div><div>him to discuss=C2=A0this. I jus=
t finished and he was able to confirm that</div><div>you&#39;re pointing=C2=
=A0me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate your</div><div>guidance =
lly=C2=A0have enough knowledge,</div><div>with the help of peers, to write =
=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jun 29, 2022=
 at 8:51 AM Mark Johnston &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:markj@freebsd.org">markj@fr=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 05:11:49PM -0500, Jake Freeland wrote:<b=
r>
&gt; Mark,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Your reply clears up a lot. I just forked drm-kmod, applied your Makef=
ile<br>
&gt; patch, and added DEBUGFS to <a href=3D"http://kconfig.mk" rel=3D"noref=
errer" target=3D"_blank">kconfig.mk</a>. I am extremely excited to be<br>
&gt; back on track, especially now that I know how to proceed.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Just to clarify, my job is to extend the current debugfs implementatio=
n<br>
&gt; (debugfs.h and lindebugfs.c) to include the missing functionality requ=
ired<br>
&gt; for i915kms to compile and run successfully? I would ask manu@, but<br=

&gt; he has not responded to me in weeks.<br>
I think so, yes.=C2=A0 That&#39;s the shortest path to getting i915&#39;s d=
ebugfs<br>
files available for consumption by the test suite.<br>
&gt; I greatly appreciate your explanations about LinuxKPI and lindebugfs.<=
br>
&gt; Extensive documentation is what draws me to FreeBSD, but I struggled<b=
r>
&gt; to find any information regarding lindebugfs or LinuxKPI. I plan to wr=
ite<br>
&gt; some of my own when I am done with this project to help others in my<b=
r>
&gt; position :).<br>
That&#39;d be welcome.=C2=A0 This area is definitely under-documented, thou=
gh it<br>
can be difficult to write useful documentation targeting kernel<br>
developers.=C2=A0 A man page for lindebugfs would be a great start, as woul=
d<br>
an introductory page for the linuxkpi.<br>

--00000000000066e56b05e29a4eb5--