Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:26:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "Samer, Michael, IN" <Michael.Samer@Ingolstadt.BERTRANDT.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-Mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cluster?!

> Does anyone have experience (on universities or research) with Cluster and
> the efficency?

	I don't know how much Alphas cost versus regular PCs, but you may
want to take a look at Beowulf. I've heard several reports of people
running it under FreeBSD, including an unconfirmed inside sourse at NASA.
There are several commercial clustering programs also, though I do not
know the name of them off the top of my head.
	Anyways if you run several fast PC's PII-400s or so with FreeBSD
in a clusterd environment you should see quite a bit of performance, and
a large cost savings. The best part (IMHO) of using the PCs, you can swap
new ones in and out easily, and be cost-effective at doing so.

					Rick

---- "Religion exists because man can't belive that he's nothing more
then a random accident."

 http://www.grendal.org