Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 14:47:23 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP on sup.freebsd.org

> I'm having a bit of trouble getting the socks version to work.
> I've built all ports/packages/etc.  It times out on the
> `Establishing SOCKS-mode data connection'
> do you have any small little debugging tools
> for nailing this down, like a telnet or ftp?
>
> (ttyp1@jake)$ m3socks cvsup -gL2 cvs-supfile.cvsup
> Parsing supfile "cvs-supfile.cvsup"
> Looking up address of sup.FreeBSD.org
> Connecting to sup.FreeBSD.org
> Connected to sup.FreeBSD.org
> Exchanging collection information
> Establishing SOCKS-mode data connection
> Timed out waiting for connection from server

I checked the server logs, and here's what I found:

    1996.11.06 14:25:11 PST [1821.60]: Connection from bacall.lodgenet.com
    1996.11.06 14:25:12 PST [1821.60]: User erich
    1996.11.06 14:26:27 PST [1821.60]: Connect failed: Connection refused

Your SOCKS server is rejecting the connections back from the server to
the client.  This is controlled by the people who administer your SOCKS
server configuration.  I have an idea or two which I'll discuss further
with you in a separate mail off the hackers list.

John