Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:01:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        a.bob@xtra.co.nz, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL modem ss3020

>  > Would it be sufficintly similar to the ATM cards?
>
>  It's not an ATM card.

It is time to do a "public service announcement" that when DSL cards
talk about ATM, they mean they run ATM cells on top of the DSL frames
(whereas traditional ATM cards run ATM cells in SONET frames).

I read this person's question as asking how close the ATM SAR on the DSL
card matches the ATM SAR on the traditional SONET card and how difficult
would it be to port. Maybe I assumed too much about the question.

From what I read in the Efficient web page, I would guess they are not
simular, but I suggested that he ask the question in freebsd-atm mailing list,
because someone in that group may have more information on that DSL card to
give a definitive answer.

Unfortunately even if the underlining media was the only difference
and it was a few lines different, we may have to make changes to the
network stack. HARP supports Classical IP over ATM. The ISP/telco
could be using PPP over ATM, or Bridged Ethernet over ATM.

The external DSL <> ethernet bridge/router are the best way to go for
cost/effort, but in 6 months to a year we are going to be seeing people
screaming for drivers for the board their ISP/telcom gave them. Unless
things really change in regard to getting documentation, the standard reply
for them will be buy the external bridge/router or they are SOL. I hope
things will change and DSL drivers are as common as ethernet card drivers
are today.

--mark tinguely.