Date:      Thu, 18 May 2006 21:46:50 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] Domain Name Registrars

Hello to everyone,

Would anyone care to recommend a good domain name registrar,
able to offer service for both gTLDs and .ca ccTLDs.

I've tried cheap and to be honest my headache just keeps growing.
After having setup FreeBSD, DNS, Sendmail, and Apache,  I thought
I had the hard stuff taken care of.  I guess I was wrong.

All I want to do is have my registrar point the name server entries for
a .com domain I'm managing at the name servers I'm running.  Why is this
so difficult?  Or expensive?

Is it my fault?  Am I doing something wrong?  -- I know, kinda hard to
answer that.

My registrar told me my name server needs to be registered with ICANN.
I've read
as much as I could find about ICANN's mandate and policies on their website
http://www.icann.org but I couldn't find anything which indicated I had
to register
anything with them unless I intended on becoming an ICANN certified
registrar.

It seems odd in any event that I would need to register my name server,
which is in the .ca
domain, with ICANN.  Obviously I had to register with CIRA but that
seems irrelevant
to my current situation / vexation.

If I do somehow need to register my name server with ICANN would someone
be so kind
as to point me to the correct RTFM entry, URI, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Duane Whitty
--
duane@greenmeadow.ca