Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:34:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
To:        Claus Beerta <claus.beerta@nwn.de>
Cc:        "aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG" <aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Prblem with AIC7890

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Claus Beerta wrote:

> Hi, i have a Adaptec 7890AB Chipset on my Asus P2B-S Mainboard, and
> i have several problems with intense disk access.
> After a while of Disk access the complete System halts, my HD Led is
> turning steady red, and syslog shows messages like:
> SCSI Host 0 abort .... resetting
> blah blah ... SCSI bus is being reset.
> after this reset it works fine again. Until the next disk attack.
> Is this due to alpha stage of the drivers, or my Termination (i can't
> imagine, winblows runs fine and no file errors at all)

> Setup: 1 Quantum Fireball SE 3.1 GB
>               2  HP C3323-3 1 GB HD
>               1 Plextor 12/20 SCSI Drive
>         All normal 50 Pin SCSI II Drives, no UW SCSI at all.

Your problem is to be considered normal with all of these drives sharing
the same SCSI bus (mainly due to brain damage in the drive firmware, these
drives get very pissy when the SCSI bus is actually busy).  I used to use
this exact combination of drives (Fireball + HP C3323A) to force resets on
a regular basis.

  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but
      they should be everybody's.