Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:15:33 +1200
From:      Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD EABI ARM & Network boot image howto?

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:53:12 -0600 (MDT)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <1281869630.24339.63.camel@xeon.thinmesh.com>
>             John Nicholls <john@thinlinx.com> writes:
> : Special thanks to Yohanes Nugroho & Greg Ansley for the fantastic
> work : they have done with the FreeBSD port to the AT91SAM9G20. Great
> to see : FreeBSD gaining more traction in the embedded World :)
> :
> : I have a couple of questions,
> :
> : (1) I noticed a significant performance boost under Linux when
> Linux ARM : moved to EABI, are there any plans for a EABI FreeBSD
> version? :
> : http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort
>
> People have talked about it, but so far nothing concrete has been
> done, to my knowledge.

I had a look at this over the weekend. I managed to get a userland
compiled with the current abi into single user mode on a kernel
compiled with -mabi=aapcs-linux (gnueabi). The main problem I found
was the change in packing for structs causing strange behaviour in
userland.

My plan is to clean up the code and post it somewhere for further
testing.

Andrew