Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 03:38:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   some minor issues

Hi,

during the las few weeks I noticed the following (pretty minor) flaws
in current:

1.
quota doesn't know about local file systems. Shouldn't it be:
*** /usr/src/usr.bin/quota/quota.c.orig        Thu Jun 11 03:24:12 1998
--- /usr/src/usr.bin/quota/quota.c     Thu Jun 11 03:24:20 1998
***************
*** 474,480 ****
                        if (getnfsquota(&fst[i], NULL, qup, id, quotatype)
                            == 0)
                                continue;
!               } else if (strcmp(fst[i].f_fstypename, "ffs") == 0) {
                        /*
                         * XXX
                         * UFS filesystems must be in /etc/fstab, and must
--- 474,480 ----
                        if (getnfsquota(&fst[i], NULL, qup, id, quotatype)
                            == 0)
                                continue;
!               } else if (strcmp(fst[i].f_fstypename, "ufs") == 0) {
                        /*
                         * XXX
                         * UFS filesystems must be in /etc/fstab, and must

2.
FreeBSD switched to longer usernames (16 chars) long ago. But repquota
reserves for the username field only 10 chars. Since for 80 char
displays there is enough space left, I recommend leaving more room on
the left for longer usernames.

3.
sys/conf/param.c
For many machines I use a very small value for "maxusers" (4-8). The
only problem I encounter running out of open files long before I run
out of processes. I would recommend setting
#define MAXFILES (NPROC*4)
Two open files per process is a little bit optimistic.

4.
In my kernel config I used to have two entries with no port-flag:
device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
device          apm0    at isa?
but apm0 wasn't probed "due to I/O address conflict with sbxvi0 at 0xffffffff.
I had to enter a dummy port address to resolve this "conflict".

Daniel