Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:07:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID motherboard compatibility

  I've just discovered that the Mylex AccelRAID 352 is incompatible with
an IBM eServer x342.  We've have many of the previous models (x340) and
they work fine, but a "Rehook int19h" option must be enabled in the BIOS,
otherwise the RAID configuration can't be accessed during boot.  However,
IBM neglected to include the same option in the x342 BIOS, so the RAID
configuration in accessible.  We'll have to configure the card and disks
in another system, and then move then over!  Just so you are aware of how
bizare this is, IBM bought Mylex over two years ago!

  Does anyone have ideas on whether Adaptec or American Megatrends cards
would have the same problem in an x342?  Both manufacturers are listed on
the IBM site as being part of the IBM's certification program, but neither
has certified any cards for the x342.  I'm leaning towards the Adaptec
5400S.

Tom