Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:16:20 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        frank@exit.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon 9600 SE & OpenGL?

Frank Mayhar wrote:
> Barry Pederson wrote:
>
>>Loaded the x11-servers/XFree86-Server-snap port to get a newer "radeon"
>>server that recognizes the 9200,
>>but when I "startx" the screen goes black and the machine freezes  -
>>unless I comment out the "glx" module in /etc/X11/XF86Config
>

> Out of curiousity, is this an SMP machine?  On -stable I've been unable to
> use DRI with my 8500, as when the kernel drivers are loaded and I start the
> X server, the system panics.  (Of course, I haven't tried it in some time;
> the problem may well have been fixed by now...)

No, it's a little Dell PowerEdge 400SC - just a single processor P4,
with Hyperthreading disabled in the BIOS, so 5.2.1 just sees one processor.

It doesn't panic for me, it's a flat-out hang with a completely black
screen (it stops responding to the network too, so I'm pretty sure it's
not just that I can't see what's going on).

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, hitting the power switch do
nothing.  I end up just pulling the power cord and then letting it
reboot and go through a fsck.

	Barry