Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2020 19:17:52 -0400
From:      Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie@outstep.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to make pkg ignore some dependencies?

Hello All,

Hope that everyone is doing well today.

Lately, I have been working with various packages from the FreeBSD 12.1
package system and noticed something interesting.

I can do "pkg install xorg-minimal" which installs about 63 packages
and have noticed that if I do a "pkg fetch -d -o /some/path xorg-minimal"
then I can get all of the packages downloaded.

Then, when I look through all of the download packages, I can notice that
some of them are not truly required for a minimal installation of Xorg.
(i.e. llvm80, py37, perl, etc..)

I also notice that the "xorg-minimal.txz" package, itself, is really just a
small meta-package in this case and am trying to determine where it lists
the dependencies that make up the 63 packages that it wants to download.

With this in mind, I would like to find out if there are some settings that
can be used with the "pkg" command such that I can tell it to leave out
some of the packages that it wants to download and install?

Or, is there some place that I can find out how the xorg-minimal package is
set up so that I can create maybe a new package called "xorg-ultra" or
something that leaves out the unnecessary packages?

I am looking at freshports to see if that helps also, but still
investigating all of this.
Cheers,
Lonnie