Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:53:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk bug???

According to Eivind Eklund:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 09:10:09AM -0800, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
> > According to Tim Vanderhoek:

> > > Think of it as a proactive bug.  :-)
> >
> > Proactive???
> >
> > cd /usr/ports/x11/lesstif
> > make
> > ===>  lesstif-0.83 : You have an old file (/usr/local/include/tk.h) that
> > could cause problems for some ports to compile. Please remove it and try
> > again. You may have to reinstall tk from the ports tree afterwards.
> >
> > pkg_delete tk-8.0.2
>

> You're supposed to remove the _file_ (/usr/local/include/tk.h), not the TK
> package.

Quoted from above, "You may have to reinstall tk from the ports tree
afterwards."  This suggests that you need to delete tk.  Granted,
"make reinstall" in the right tk directory will side-step the pkg_delete
of the currently installed tk; but this still requires 2 ports to
be built.

How ports are in the tree 1200 to 1300?

cd /usr/ports
find . -name Makefile -print | xargs grep CATEG > ~/tmp/aaa
wc ~/tmp/aaa
    1078    2456   48128 /home/kargl/tmp/aaa
grep tk ~/tmp/aaa | wc
      59     184    2744
grep tcl ~/tmp/aaa | wc
      14      41     634

I'll be generous because I don't have a complete ports tree and assume
100 ports depend of tk/tcl.  Let's see, (100/1200)*100 = 8.3%

What are the CATEGORIES and LIB_DEPEND variables for?  At the
very least, one would expect these variable should be checked
to see if there could be a conflict with an out-of-date tk/tcl port.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html