Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:33:04 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads up: gtar gone from base system

--nextPart4231974.jIDqPuIdzm

On Tuesday, 5. April 2005 17:33, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> David Schultz wrote:
> > ... a quick fix would be to accept --use-compress-program as
> > an undocumented option and ignore it.
>
> Tempting, tempting.... ;-/

Not one bit, IMHO. I can't imagine a single case where something would use=
=20
=2D-use-compress-program and it would continue to work if the tar in questi=
on=20
simply ignored it. In ark's case, ark would just fail to extract an archive=
=20
completely silently, making it harder to diagnose what's going wrong.

Mapping it to -z and relying on libarchives autodetection would be somewhat=
=20
better. Actually implementing it would still be best. And useful, too.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org