Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:32:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: an and wi ad-hoc talking

In message <XFMail.011111230843.dmlb@computer.my.domain> Duncan Barclay writes:
: Are the Orinoco's really doing a generic ad-hoc? Or is it a hacked
: up thing?

I don't know.  How Can I check?

: Can you obtain the BSS id's from the Orinocos (should be the same) and
: the one from the Cisco card. If an ad-hoc node does not actually find
: a BSS it can create a new one on its own.

I didn't check.  I can check, however.

: Additionally look at the low level parameters such as DIFS, PIFS, beacon
: interval etc. There may be a mismatch between these on the different
: manufacturers cards.

Hmmm, They should all be the same?

: Are both WiFi certified to be interoperable in ad-hoc mode?
:
: 802.11 is an advisory standard and there is a lot of difference in
: implementations...

That I don't know. I do know they both work with the Airport
access point I have, but that's not ad-hoc mode.

Warner