Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:21:24 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        jrrelay@juno.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM: 03.90: Re: Digital USB Camera

On Monday 19 January 2004 04:14 pm, jrrelay@juno.com wrote:
> ...the puzzle
> for bsd will be discovering the device name to use when mounting the
> device.

It should be the first available SCSI disk device. If you don't have any
SCSI disks or other USB umass devices attached, it should always
be /dev/da0.

> ...it may be (and this is only a guess) necessary to have the
> camera connected to the usb port while starting bsd and watching the
> installed devices roll by as the start proceeds.  there is some
> program which captures many of the start-up messages for later review
> -- the name is something like 'dmesg'.

It is dmesg. But you can also see the output on the console, at the time
you insert the device. You don't have to wait until bootup. For
example, here's the output on the console when I plug in my thumbdrive:

umass0: JUNGSOFT CO.,LTD NEXDISK, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
GEOM: create disk da0 dp=0xc2d76050
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <JUNGSOFT NEXDISK 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 127MB (261760 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 127C)

The actual fat32 filesystem on the device is mapped to /dev/da0s1. I use
KDE, and creating an icon to automatically mount this when clicked on
is very convenient. I click on the camera icon and the filemanager pops
up ready to drag and drop photos around. Right click and select
"Unmount", and I can remove it. It took a slight amount of work to set
up (fiddling with devfs and sysctl to allow users to mount devices),
but several Windows users have commented on how much easier it is to
use then what they have. Of course, Mac users just yawn :-)

David