Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Levenberg <richardl@voyager.ufp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   My FreeBSD gateway machine is always dialing out!!!

Could anyone help me with a problem.  I have a FreeBSD gateway with a
modem and iijppp connecting to my ISP.  I have a static IP from my ISP
and I ifconfig the tun device with the static IP at boot time and add
the route as default.  No problem there.  I run ppp -auto -alias and
everything works great.

I also have an internal network with a MAC and a notebook running
FreeBSD. They both run fine but no matter what I try ( so far
/etc/hosts and DNS from Pedantic PPP primer ) if I ftp, rlogin or
telnet to the gateway from the notebook or launch an FTP server on the
MAC the gateway dials out.  What is the gateway looking for?  How can
I stop it from looking for whatever it is looking for or give it what
it is looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.  I have a
hard time going through all the questions so private email would be
appreciated.

richardl