Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:58:32 +0100
From:      Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de>
To:        "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rscheff@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BPF to filter/mod ARP

> On 1. Mar 2023, at 21:33, Scheffenegger, Richard <rscheff@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi group,
>=20
> Maybe someone can help me with this question - as I am usually only =
looking at L4 and the top side of L3 ;)
>=20
> In order to validate a peculiar switches behavior, I want to adjust =
some fields in gracious arps sent out by an interface, after a new IP is =
assigned or changed.
Wouldn't scapy allow you to do this kind of testing?

Best regards
Michael
>=20
> I believe BPF can effectively filter on arbitrary bit patterns and =
modify packets on the fly.
>=20
> However, as ARP doesn't seem to be accessible in the ipfw =
infrastructure, I was wondering how to go about setting up an BPF to =
tweak (temporarily) some of these ARPs to validate how the switch will =
behave.
>=20
> (I need to validate, if there is some difference when the target =
hardware address doesn't conform to RFC5227 - which states it SHOULD be =
zero and is ignored on the receiving side; i have reasons to believe =
that the switch needs either a target hardware address of =
ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff or the local interface MAC, to properly update it's =
entries.)