Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2010 09:02:45 -0700
From:      Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should a "squid" user have a shell?

Hi folks,
I'm looking in some documentation for Squid, which I'm installing on a
FBSD 8.1 server, and it says I need to create a squid user and a squid
group because I'm building/installing from source.

I see to create the squid user, I user the (of course) "adduser"
command (there isn't a default squid user with the base install, is
there?).

1.) When I use the adduser command, from a security perspective,
should the squid user have a shell? What should it be?

2.) How do I create a squid group and add the squid user to it?

3.) Since the squid user needs full access to the squid directory and
all of its files, what the easiest way to give the appropriate
permissions?

Thank you,
Ed