Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 00:14:10 +0200
From:      Rico Pajarola <pajarola@cybertime.ch>
To:        ken keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cannot install 3.1 from CDROM

I had such a problem with an 486SX (66Mhz, VLB/ISA Bus, IDE Harddisk, 8M
RAM), installing over ftp. The problem showed up no matter what version I
choose, so I thought it was the computer (I tried FreeBSD 3.1, 3.0, 2.2.8,
current and OpenBSD-curent, which seemed to halfway work).
FreeBSD just seemed to do nothing at all, the progress indicator stayed at
0%, saying "extracting bin into / directory, 1024 bytes read from bin
dist...". Looking at it with tcpdump i saw that the receive window was
always 0, and the harddisk never bothered to make even the slightest sound
(it was very loud normally). OpenBSD timeouted at the end of the base set,
when it had to extract all those little timezone definition files. I can do
without those files, but the whole box was so terribly slow, a simple ls in
a small directory (2 files) took several seconds, and brought the load up
to 1 (even my old 386 feeled an order of magnitude faster).
I attributed the problems to the vlb-ide-controller, took the next box
(which worked fine) and never bothered about it again...
but maybe you can see some similarities with your hardware.

Rico Pajarola