Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2020 08:36:34 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: 12.1p7 no longer boots after doing zpool upgrade -a

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:32 AM Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> wrote:

> On 09/07/2020 14:24, Kyle Evans wrote:
>
> >> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat -i 1 ada0
> >> gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat -i 1 ada1
> >

> > This method of updating the ESP is no longer recommended for new 12.x
> > installations -- we now more carefully construct the ESP with an
> > /EFI/FreeBSD/loader.efi where loader.efi is /boot/loader.efi. You will
> > want to rebuild this as such, and that may fix part of your problem.
>
> Out of interest, how should the ESP partition be upgraded then ? I dont
> have any EFI machines...yet. But one day I will, and I was assuming that
> an upgrade would be done using the above lines too.

We haven't quite standardized on a good process yet, IMO, but for
right now the correct process is to just mount the ESP and replace
loader.efi with your system's updated /boot/loader.efi. At some point
we'll standardize a mountpoint for the ESP and mount it by default as
is done on at least some other OS.