Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2017 20:23:46 -0800
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: faq/troubleshoot.html#indefinite-wait-buffer has the direction of transfer wrong (head -r326888 /usr/src/)

On 16 December 2017 at 10:47, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:
> I got a "swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer" notice and looked
> it up. (This was on a rpi2 booted (kernel and world) from a
> USB SSD, swap partition in use instead of a swap file. It
> was building devel/cmake via poudriere-devel .)
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/troubleshoot.html#indefinite-wait-buffer
> reads like it is for page-out to disk:
>

> QUOTE
> 5.9.
>
> What does the error swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: mean?
>
> This means that a process is trying to page memory to disk, and the page =
attempt has hung trying to access the disk for more than 20 seconds. It mig=
ht be caused by bad blocks on the disk drive, disk wiring, cables, or any o=
ther disk I/O-related hardware. If the drive itself is bad, disk errors wil=
l appear in /var/log/messages and in the output of dmesg. Otherwise, check =
the cables and connections.
> ENDQUOTE
>

> But the code containing the message is for "swread":
> (head -r326888)

If I understand correctly this is fixed by change "trying to page to"
to "trying to page from" ?  In other words this happens on swap-in,
not swap-out.

--=20
Eitan Adler