Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:11:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new TCP/IP bug in win95 (fwd)

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree that your fix is optimal for this bug, Don.
Seems like you're relying on the ACK field being out of range to drop
the packet that the victim machine itself generated.  Apart from
generating an extra packet (the bogus response that the victim sends
attacker can guess the right sequence number, it can circumvent your
fix.  Granted, that's much harder -- and more platform-variable --
than the exploit that's been posted.

The essence of the attack lies in engineering a TCP connection in
which (src-ip, src-port) is equal to (dst-ip, dst-port); the fact
that the ACK value in the second packet is out of range seems like
a sort of side effect.  I can't think of any case in which it would
be legal or desirable to have a TCP connection with (src-ip, src-port)
equal to (dst-ip, dst-port); so why not just reject such a connection
attempt out of hand in the TCPS_LISTEN state?

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.