Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:24:28 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba printing stopped after upgrade to 2.2.6

GAD> Some of that is just guessing on my part, but it sounds pretty
GAD> plausible.  I would suggest that you see if CUPS is installed.
GAD> Also check to see if it is a recent install.  If so, then
GAD> /usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall cups
GAD> and then try the samba-without-cups install once again.

Yeah... it seems that the "Without CUPS" option to Samba doesn't do
the right thing if cups-base is installed (ie, for KDE).

Also, it seems that if Samba is built with CUPS, it doesn't honor the
"printing=bsd" setting and tries to use CUPS anyway.

I just built with cups_base removed and printing seems to work again.

Thanks for the tip.  Luckily the machine running samba doesn't have/need
KDE on it.