Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 14:19:16 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        jaitken@husky.cs.vt.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel configuration/compilation tool

Brian Tao stands accused of saying:
> > As has been discussed in the newsgroups lately, a snazzy kernel
> > configuration & compilation utility would be very nice.  I just spoke
> > with Jordan about it, and he wasn't aware of anyone working on such a
> > beast.  I've volunteered to at least take a crack at it, so if anyone's
> > already started on the same project, let me know and I'll be glad to
> > help.

I've been tinkering with the idea off and on for a while; the real
stress lies in designing the syntax for the options/devices/etc
definition file, so that it can be parsed easily and yet be
straightforward for new entries to be added.

>     Again, I'm joining in late... after tk4.0 was released and once a
> friend of mine lent me his Tcl/Tk reference book, I decided that a
> kernel config utility would be a nice "test project" to work on.  I
> haven't started it yet, but here are some thoughts.

To do this 'right' will actually be fairly meaty project; you may want to
use something like XF as a dialog designer to help your visualisation out.
(This sort of thing requires multiple toplevels, which XF doesn't do so
well, so you can't use it as a designer)

Regardless, count me in as an interested party.  I'd also be interested
to know if there was much interest in a format/slice/partition/newfs/mount
tool with a 'spiffy' frontend...

> Brian ("Though this be madness, yet there is method in't") Tao

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[