Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 01:18:18 +0200
From:      Ville Eerola <ville@vlsi.fi>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Atapi.flp boots but doesn't recognize..

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> I'd appreciate even *one* success report, folks!  As it stands now,
> without more feedback I'm just going to drop the idea.  I haven't
> heard *one* successful probe report, not one! :(

OK, here is a successful boot story...

I got the Oct 6 atapi.flp from ftp.freebsd.org, and tried to boot from
it. It correctly detected my Mitsumi CD-ROM drive as: <FX001 DE/0G 6>
It is supposedly a quad speed drive, and indeed on running dd from the
shell from the fixit floppy got me around 600kB/s.

The ATAPI boot floppy detected my CD-ROM even without any IDE drives
attached! Very good. I really find the ATAPI boot floppy useful. Even
if I'm probably not needing it for installing, it will be a life saver
for many people having IDE CD-ROMs. I guess that the 4-speed Mitsumi
is a very popular drive these days, at least for newer PCs.

I have an Intel Zappa 120MHz motherboard with 32M memory, 2 1G Seagate
Hawk SCSI drives on Adaptec 2940 controller, and Diamond Stealth 64
Video VRAM video card. Everything is working just fine on 2.1-stable
from around Sep 17.

And, while we are on the subject, here are some notes on the install
and fixit floppies:

1) While using the Options editing feature on the Install program, the
screen has originally a black background, but if I edit an option with
text value, it gives the form to enter the text with the same blue
background as was used on the main screen. After editing, the screen
background is left as blue, but the options screen texts are then
written with black background. It looks a bit weird, but on the other
hand, everything seems to work otherwise.

2) The documentation on the boot floppy talked still about
FreeBSD 2.0.5 ;-)

3) On the fixit floppy, which is a great idea, the erase character for
the shell is set to delete (^?), while the keyboard produces backspace
(^H) from the obvious key... It makes editing your typing a bit hard,
but who will make typing errors? ;-)

4) After running the reboot command, I got a nice banner saying to
press enter when done reading the message, but the machine rebooted
before hitting any key. Well, in any case the machine rebooted itself
unlike some other machines reported here...

5) And finally, I would be nice to either allow running fsck or use
the 'mount -f' command on mounting the fixit diskette. If one reboots
the machine without unmounting the fixit diskette, the clean flag is
wrong, and the install program cannot mount it. This happened to me
while i forgot to use the fine reboot command and instead just synced
and hit reset on the machine... Fortunately I had a working system,
which I used to fsck the fixit disk, after which it was again usable.

Well, apart from the above minor details, all seemed to work just
fine. The installation program is really a fine piece of work, and
when I have used the 2.0.5, and snapshot versions it has worked really
well. Thanks for the great installation scheme!

Regards, Ville