Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:33:35 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Subject:   Re: pkg upgrade odity

On 29/04/2024 17:21, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Mon 29 Apr 16:41, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>> On 29/04/2024 12:49, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> pkg wants to remove some package on upgrade. I do not understand why...
>>> ---snip---
>>> # pkg upgrade
>>> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
>>> Fetching meta.conf: 100%    178 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
>>> Fetching data.pkg: 100%  130 KiB 133.5kB/s    00:01
>>> Processing entries: 100%
>>> FreeBSD repository update completed. 467 packages processed.
>>> All repositories are up to date.
>>> Checking for upgrades (1 candidates): 100%
>>> Processing candidates (1 candidates): 100%
>>> The following 4 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>>>
>>> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>>>           mosh: 1.4.0_2
>>>           netdata: 1.43.2_1
>>>           protobuf: 24.4,1
>>>
>>> Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
>>>           rsync: 3.2.7_1 -> 3.3.0
>>>
>>> Number of packages to be removed: 3
>>> Number of packages to be upgraded: 1
>>>
>>> The operation will free 55 MiB.
>>> 405 KiB to be downloaded.
>>>
>>> Proceed with this action? [y/N]: n
>>> ---snip---
>>>
>>> If I do this instead, it is doing what I expect the former command to do:
>>> ---snip---
>>> # pkg upgrade mosh netdata protobuf rsync
>>> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
>>> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
>>> All repositories are up to date.
>>> The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>>>
>>> Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
>>>           rsync: 3.2.7_1 -> 3.3.0
>>>
>>> Number of packages to be upgraded: 1
>>>
>>> 405 KiB to be downloaded.
>>>
>>> Proceed with this action? [y/N]:
>>> ---snip---
>>>
>>> Any ideas why it wants to remove those packages in the first case?
>>

>> I see similar behavior from time to time. Last time (a few days ago) pkg
>> wanted to uninstall about 30 packages when I tried to install Signal Desktop
>> (I tried to install another package without any dependencies, but pkg
>> behaves the same). I didn't have time to solve it, I just left it alone. The
>> second day (after reboot) everything worked normally and pkg installed only
>> Signal Desktop, no other dependencies/libraries were affected.
>>
>> And similarly, pkg during 'pkg upgrade' installed several packages, which
>> after completing 'pkg upgrade' again uninstalled by command 'pkg autoremove'
>> (I remember mate-desktop, which I don't use at all, I use KDE Plasma) It was
>> right before I tried to install Signal Desktop.
>>

>> Kind regards
>> Miroslav Lachman
>>

> This is usually due to shlibs_provided and shlibs_required,, pkg check -d should
> be able to highlight some of the issues

Speaking of pkg check, should it work with a changed root directory (pkg
-r /some/path check) or chroot (pkg -c /some/path check)? I'm doing a
pkg upgrade of a desktop in a cloned BE and if I run pkg check after pkg
upgrade (with -c), pkg check prints an error for hundreds or thousands
of files. So it seems I cannot check before the reboot to newly updated
BE (I know I can run it as jail but it more work than pkg -c)

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman