Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:26:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jason L. Schwab" <jlschwab@simphost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird Networking....

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Jason L. Schwab wrote:

> 	I have a machine running FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE, runs just awesome! It
> has 18 IP Addresses binded to it. I can ping all 18 IP Addresses from any
> where and I get replies, so they work just fine. Except! I can only ping
> the first IP that I setup the machine with locally.
>
> 	I have nothing blocking anything (as in firewall rules) right now.

What command are you using to add IP addresses?  Specifically, are you
setting a netmask on the ifconfig line, and if so, what is that netmask?
Do you get any warnings on adding the IP address to the interface?

The command I use to add aliases under 4.x is:

ifconfig de0 inet add 204.156.12.59 netmask 255.255.255.255

Under 3.x, I believe you have to use "alias" instead of "add" as I'm not
sure that change was backported:

ifconfig de0 inet alias 204.156.12.59 netmask 255.255.255.255

Specifying a netmask of 255.255.255.255 allows a routing entry to be
created; by default, the netmask will normally be 255.255.255.0, which
will conflict with the routing entry for the base IP address on the device
(if they are in the same network).

  Robert N M Watson