Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 01:22:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        James Chyn <jchyn@pluto.njcc.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: login

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, James Chyn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please tell me what to do?
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 2.1.6 without setting system manager's password
> then I rebooted from hard disk. Now I don't have the login name and
> password to get in. (I tried to get back into installation using the
> installation floppy, but "add users" and "setting system manager's
> password" didn't seem to be working.)
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jim

Use the login name "root" with no password.  Then use the adduser utility
to make a user account for yourself, and use that account instead of the
root one.  The reason to do that is so that you won't, in a moment of
distraction, type something like "rm -rf *" and destroy your whole system.
(Don't scoff, it happens even to the smartest of us.)

 Ben