Date:      Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:38:23 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making use of set_rcvar.

On 01/07/2012 03:25, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 05:05:58PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 01/06/2012 06:13, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>>> Any objections?
>>>
>>> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/set_rcvar.patch
>>>
>>> This patch only changes scripts where set_rcvar can be used with no
>>> arguments.
>>
>> Please don't do this.
>>
>> Jilles already pointed out the important reason, it adds pointless
>> forks. I suggested a long time ago that we remove set_rcvar altogether
>> but I got a lot of resistance to it, and never pursued it. Perhaps it's
>> time to revisit that.
>
> It is a total mess now then and it is definiately not intuitive when
> there are much more bad examples than good ones:

I agree, which is why I previously proposed assigning them all directly
when possible (which is in almost all cases). If no one speaks up
opposing this idea in the next few days I'm still prepared to proceed.

>> In regards to your concern about not having to type the name of the
>> script when copying to create a new one, you can't really be serious
>> about that? If so, let me introduce you to this revolutionary thing
>> called "search and replace."
>
> Do you really expect me to comment this?

Well I don't know, I thought you were being funny in your post, so I was
trying to respond in kind. Sorry if the humor missed the mark.

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra