Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkgng 1.0 release schedule [...concerns...thread...continued...]

I view, rightly-or-wrongly, the mandatory usage of pkgng VS
/var/db/pkg/portname-number, as somewhat of a showstopper, at least
without more assurances... I interact daily with /var/db/pkg as
follows...

using the shells' tab-completion of /var/db/pkg/ to more efficiently
pkg_create, pkg_delete

portmaster -d -B -P -i -g /var/db/pkg/ /var/db/pkg/ /var/db/pkg/ /var/db/pkg /var/db/pkg/ /var/db/pkg... && yell || yell;

#zsh# no space on the machine for pkgng
#zsh# in /var/db/pkg # does not pkg_complete without the pwd
#zsh# pkg_delete -f portname-number && pkg_add /mnt/portmaster-download/portname-number...

#var/db/pkg#  ls -lac | grep py26  # upgrading to py27
#var/db/pkg#  ls -lac | grep diff # what tools can I use

make build-depends-list
ls -lac /var/db/pkg/this
ls -lac /var/db/pkg/that
#... which port is less-recently upgraded that might fix this port...

/usr/ports/devel/gettext
cp -iv /var/db/pkg/gett[tab]/+REQUIRED_BY .
#  reference for prior-to rebuild, esp., if UPDATING ...
#  to defer or not the upgrade of a port,

Any lesser-easily equivalent to these using pkgng, if it involves
actually writing down the name-number (lacking tab completion), would
incur a serious time cost AFAIK, not to mention RSI.

Also, 'fails to register' in pkgng... with /var/db/pkg, at least
one can "make -k install"  ( I should elaborate this concern more,
but where would the "failed to register"  exist?  Files would be
installed but ... pkgng would put a file in /work/ detailing its
failure to register the port and why??

I rightly-or-wrongly picture pkgng sort of as a front-end to /var/db/pkg/, then removal
of the latter.  Unless clear equivalents using pkgng to the
CLI and scenarios I've posted above are elucidated, put in a
flowchart  somewhere (or the wiki...)... it *sort of* forces the
use of packages rather than building from ports  ?? Or I am
just inexperienced...

Thanks

J. Bouquet