Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/41261: PR query engine returns no results

The following reply was made to PR www/41261; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To: murray@FreeBSD.org
Cc: B.Candler@pobox.com, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:40:54 -0600 (MDT)

 In message: <20020802073620.I26495@freebsdmall.com>
             Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org> writes:
 : FYI, the CGI was being used as part of a DoS attack against freefall
 : so Warner disabled it.  I do not have any further details, nor do I
 : know where we need to go from here.  Warner?

 Last night Freefall was unusable.  There were 8400 requests for the
 entire gnats database coming from one location.  There were dozens of
 query-pr processes and freefall was not usable.  To mitigate this, I
 chmod -x query-pr.  If the attack is over, I suppose we can turn it
 back on, but it would be nice to rate limit these things in the
 future or something.

 Warner