Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:14:18 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Formatting disks under CAM

I've got a disk which has developed a number of bad spots, and I want
to format it.  I've tried scsiformat, but it hasn't been converted for
CAM.  scsiformat uses the following command to perform the format:

  scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -v -c 12 0 0 0 v 0 96 -i 96 s8 z8 z16 z4

I've tried:

  camcontrol cmd -n da -u 0 -c 12 0 0 0 v 0 96 -i 96 s8 z8 z16 z4

which appears to be the equivalent camcontrol command, but I only get
the error message

  camcontrol: error sending command

I've ktraced camcontrol, and find that it calls a number of
CAMIOCOMMAND ioctls just before this message.  All of the
CAMIOCOMMANDs are successful, so I assume it's the device returning
some error indication.  Obviously I'm getting the command parameters
screwed up.  Does camcontrol use scsi(3)?  How do I specify this
command?

Greg